Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Funny thing....

A funny thing happened today at school. But first the not so funny thing.

My first class in the morning is a group of 4th graders. Today we were working on the rules for dividing by 0's and 1's. I started off by telling them that dividing by 0's and 1's is one of my favorite things (I over exaggerated of course)! In the middle of my lesson, the principal walked in and my heart practically jumped out of my chest and I felt I had tried to swallow a handful of cotton balls. Anyway, he jumped in and posed the question "Well, what is 0 divided by 0?" Good freaking question! He totally caught me off guard and unfortunately, I didn't know the answer right off the bat and I had to think about it....so I began thinking about it out loud (which isn't a great thing when your principal and/or students are present). I started to think that the answer was 0, but that just didn't make sense....I think my principal noticed my contemplation and piped in that it can't be done just like you can't divide 5 by 0. Then he left. That scene will haunt me for quite some time. I felt so silly for not knowing the answer right away. Arg!....yes I've turned into a pirate.

Now for the funny thing....

When he left, I resumed my normal state of excitement about what we were working on. After we were finished, I had the following conversation with one of my students:

"Mrs. Taylor, why are you so hyper?"
Student laughter.
"Well, Sam, I had coffee this morning and dividing by 0's and 1's is really one of my favorite things."
More student laughter.
"Yeah, but Mrs. Taylor, what did you put IN your coffee?"
Even more student laughter and a bit of chuckling from myself.
"Well, I guess some people just refer to me as a 'Morning Person.' I'm always like this in the morning."

That conversation ensured me a wonderful day. Every time I thought about it, I just started laughing out loud. Good thing that only happened when I was in my room. Otherwise, people would start to think I was going crazy!

No comments: