Saturday, January 5, 2008

Organization

Yesterday I got to thinking. What have I really accomplished over the holiday vacation? Nothing....well, almost nothing. I visited family and friends, but yet I didn't read a single book. To my enjoyment I slept in everyday, but did not finish my crochet project. I did however finally finish the quilt (that I should have finished a month ago) and yet my kitchen floors went unmopped. So finally today, the last weekend before work, I organized parts of my kitchen. When we moved to our new house I kinda just put things here and there....in the vicinity of where their permanent home would be. However, everything just stayed put......but today things found their permanent home!!!.....thanks to my lazy vacay and my new Magic Bullet Blender!!! I already have a blender (rarely used because it's a pain to clean) in a bottom cupboard that is easy to reach. So I put the Magic Bullet up higher (a stepladder is needed as I am vertically challenged). I thought that was all fine and dandy until I used the Magic Bullet......and I LOVE it!!!! Therefore, the blender and the bullet swapped places. I got out all my storage containers and took inventory. I then opened my lid drawer. Yes, I have a lid drawer. It's the coolest thing ever! I've always wanted one ever since I was a little girl and saw my Aunt Donna's lid drawer. This way I can stack all my plastic containers together and save room in my cupboards. Anyway, I made sure every lid had a container and vice versa. Then I threw away (yes, you read that correctly) all the old and couple less containers. This is huge for me as I have inherited my mother's "I need to save everything because I may need it some day" syndrome. But in the garbage they went! Finally, I rearranged the things in the cupboard so they can be reached a little easier and put things I don't use very often in higher, unused cupboards.

Now I feel like I have accomplished something. Oooooo, I also updated my Menu. I have a menu posted on a cork board in the kitchen. It has all the meals listed that we like....breakfast stuff, soups, sandwiches, Italian, Mexican, BBQ, and other dishes. This way when we make our dinner and grocery list for the week, I have everything right in front of me and I don't have to rack my brain. It also prevents us from getting in a food rut. Then all the meals for the week go on the white board and all I have to do when I get home is look at it and cook what it says. I have been using it for about 8 years or so and it is fabulous! It also prevents spending way too much in the grocery store on food you don't eat and isle 7 arguments with my husband. Before the system, Dennis and I could NOT go grocery shopping because it would end up in an argument every time. Part of the problem was that we would go shopping when we were hungry and when I am hungry I am a major (pardon my French) Bitch. So, we implemented the system, I ate before we left, and viola'!....no more arguments!

Well, now that THAT tangent is over, I feel organized and calm.
Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crazy girl! How's bout lending me some of those skills?! P.S. thanks for the cosmo recipe. Hasta! K