Monday, September 10, 2007

Road Construction

If you have ever been on a road trip during the summer, you've had to endure some sort of road construction. Well, since June, I have had to drive through approximately 20 minutes of road work. It hasn't been bad. Concerning at times when I barely have enough room to drive my car through the lane without going into the median....but otherwise not a major issue. Well, today I got completely freaked out and thought I had missed some sign or merging lane or something. The entrances and exits have been temporary closed within the last few weeks. However, I have only seen my exit closed once. Anyway, I proceeded to get on the freeway....I would have my own lane for the first 1/4 mile of the freeway entrance to merge left. If the right lane was closed (as the new sign had stated) there would be the merging cones and it may be touch and go, but all would be okay. Well, I entered the freeway no problem and saw that the cones were in the same place they had always been. Then to my horror, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a line of cars behind me on the opposite side of the cones! I began to panic a bit. I am now living one of my worst fears of driving on the wrong side of a construction zone! I thought how could I have missed the merging cones to put me in that lane? I wasn't on my cell phone so I know I had absolutely no distractions. What in the world did I miss.....then I saw a car behind me enter the freeway the same way I did. They slowed down (almost to a stop) and then merged left. Aha! When in Rome...... So, I slowed down and then stopped to find a break in the traffic where I could squeeze through the cones into that lane. Luckily, someone in a van slowed way down so that I could get into that lane. THANK YOU to that person!!! Since I was in the correct lane, I began to wonder what did I miss that put me in the wrong lane. I began to scrutinize every exit and entrance I drove past......then I saw it.....or the lack there of. There were no merging cones anywhere during the next several miles of freeway. All of the cones were separating the two lanes. There were no cones to assist the exit or entrance of vehicles. And I saw several more cars go through the same thing I did. WHAT WERE THE CONSTRUCTION CREWS THINKING!!!!! Apparently they weren't. I have almost 12 years of driving experience and I have never seen or been through anything like that. I felt almost as if I was in the twilight zone. Very very strange. I hope it is fixed tomorrow.

And now that I have put you through one of my stories....I apologize. Hopefully you understood my rambling and I thank you for sticking it out till the end. :)

2 comments:

Nancy Bergenske said...

You are one busy blogger!! Sorry about your bad tomatoes.... do you want some from my dad? They are getting pretty ripe and I may have to throw them out if someone else doesn't help eat them... Also, the construction zone was back to normal when I went through like at 5:15, so maybe they fixed it! See ya tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Crack me up! dyani