Thursday, September 13, 2007

Back to School Night

Oh, don't ya just love back to school night? Well, for me, it's a time where I can get lots and LOTS of planning done. Because I am not a regular classroom teacher, I don't have a little shpeel to give to a classroom full of parents. Therefore, I sit in my little room all alone from 6:15-8:00 and then have to drive 30 minutes home in the dark ( I use my headlights, so don't feel too bad about that). Fortunately, I had several caring staff members and parents who popped in to say hi tonight. I even had one parent who had questions about advanced math classes and our GATE program. So in the end I felt useful. :)

Now prepare yourself.....I have another story to tell.

While I was sitting in my room, a parent came rushing in looking all around my room and in my cubbies and saying "I need a cup!" "[Amy] found a praying mantis!" "Do you have a cup?!" Keep in mind I have never seen this parent before or knew of the child he was referring to. Anyway, I said yes and proceeded to give one to him. During this time he was standing so close to me I could practically feel is breath on my shoulders (I was wearing a tank top) as I was getting the cup. Then I handed it to him and he said, "What about a lid?" What about a lid? Do I look like I am a TO-GO station? Do I have a sign on the outside of my door that says "Cup and Lid Supply Room?" I was completely appalled by this whole situation. The way he searched my room and his expectation of having a lid to go with the cup left me speechless. I literally sat in my room with my jaw ajar for the next minute or so in complete disbelief as to what just happened. So bizarre!

And so I am now home with my wonderful husband, glad the evening has ended. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Nancy Bergenske said...

Tomorrow morning I will be in to order a chocolate shake and some fries!!!