Friday, April 3, 2009

Muffin or Cupcake?



As found on merriam-webster.com:

muffin: a quick bread made of batter containing egg and baked in a pan having cuplike molds

cupcake:
a small cake baked in a cuplike mold


Okay, so what is the real difference? Dennis had a discussion on this last night and I said the difference between a cupcake and a muffin is the frosting. You could have a chocolate cake in a "cuplike mold" and if it didn't have frosting, it would be considered a muffin....NOT a cupcake. The theory works in the reverse as well. If you take a apple cinnamon muffin, for example, and put frosting on it, it would now be considered a cupcake. I'm truly surprised that the dictionary doesn't mention the use of frosting to define a cupcake.....because really, the same ingredients make up both!

So, what's your definition?

2 comments:

diane said...

You are so funny! I love that you worry about this kind of stuff. In my mind traditional muffins are less sweet than cupcakes, but I completely agree that frosting is crucial.

Nancy Bergenske said...

I think the frosting makes the difference, too. Glad Caitlyn gained some weight!!