Tuesday, February 26, 2008

First GATE Newsletter Meeting

Today we held our very first GATE newsletter meeting. I chose a representative from the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. We (or rather they) hashed out what should be in the newsletter, how long it should be, and who will do what. They came up with great ideas and seem really dedicated to the project. For the next week, the will also be working on a name for the newsletter and a motto.....The motto thing was their idea and I thought it was absolutely fabulous! I'm so interested in what they are going to come up with. We plan on having our first issue go out at the end of March. The newsletter will basically be made up of current GATE classes and how they are going, up coming events (both GATE and school wide), a photo section, and a fun page that will include crossword puzzles, jokes, games, and a contest. They also want to have a section for questions and comments....this too I thought was awesome. I told them that this is their project and I am only there to support them and give guidance when needed. I also let them know they will be on the committee until the end of school. I thought about switching kids around, but since it's so new, I wanted to get a strong foundation for the newsletter before having a variety of kids write it. As soon as we have a finished copy, I'll have to post it. I'm just so excited about this project and can't believe I didn't think of is sooner!

All in all, another great and busy day!......So busy that I didn't get home until 5:45 and we didn't eat dinner until 7pm!!!!

1 comment:

Nancy Bergenske said...

I can't wait to see the newsletter... it's so fun that you get to work with a variety of kids. Dentist appt. went O.K. Hate that ultrasonic thingamajiggy!