Monday, December 29, 2008

"Did you hear me?"

The nerve of some people! Just before Christmas I was doing some last minute shopping at Target....along with the rest of the town. I parked in the garden department because it was the least crowded. I usually try to park next to a shopping cart kiosk so I don't have to lug Caitlin back into the store to return the cart....but there are none close to the entrance and that day all the empty carts were in front of the store. Well that day Caitlin did not want to hang out in her carseat while shopping and was only content when I was holding her. By the time check out came I just set her in her seat without buckling her because I knew at some point in the check out process I'd have to take her out again (and I did). We proceeded to the car and she cried (very loudly) the whole way. I put everything in the cart as fast as possible and because I didn't have her strapped in I needed to go the shortest distance to return the cart. Seeing that there was no one parked in the row behind us, I put the cart at the top of a parking space. Well, a van had stopped at watched me do the whole thing....they were there so long without moving I felt they could have seen my thought process. Anyway, I got Caitlin in the car (still crying) and sat down with her to breastfeed. All of a sudden I see this lady (and a shopping cart) walk (and stop) next to my window. This lady proceeds to tell me not to put shopping carts in parking spaces (normally, I would completely agree with her but it was painfully obvious I had one upset child and was trying to comfort her)........I seriously couldn't believe the nerve of this lady!!!! Completely thrown off (and royally P.O.ed) I rolled my eyes and diverted my attention back to Caitlin (who was still upset mind you).....then when I looked up again the lady was still there!!!! And get this.....she said "Did you hear me?" Can you believe her!!!! Who does that!!!!! Especially to a nursing mother and child!!!!!! If I wasn't so shocked and unprepared for a comment like that I so would have let the curse words fly!!!! I won't speak them here....but those of you who know me....you know which ones I'm talking about. Still (6 days later) that lady totally bugs me. I know I really need to let it go, but I think the reason I'm having such a hard time getting over it is because I never got to tell that lady what I really though of her comment. So now that I have vented to everyone in cyberspace, I can begin the recovery process. :) Now that I have given you quite a sour story.....I leave you with something super sweet!

2 comments:

Nancy Bergenske said...

Loved looking at all the cute pictures of C and her admirers! Sounds like a great first Christmas! See you soon...

Crystal said...

Grr...I have had stuff like that happen and you are so thrown off you can't speak. Then for days you think of what you would/should have said. I was feeding Acacia at the mall - I was totally covered- and had a table full of people start making comments. Luckly my sister and husband took care of them for me.