Sunday, February 14, 2016

Cherry Tree

So was it Lincoln or Washington that chopped down the cherry tree? This was the bet of this evening and I had JUST read a book to Caitlin and Colton about Abe Lincoln, so there was some pretty strong willed tones coming from me on the subject. However, others in the room were convinced it was Washington that chopped down the cherry tree. Therefore, bets were made and internet could not be reached soon enough....and we were ALL wrong, so to speak. The phrase "honest Abe" has always been around, so apparently when I read the book I just made up that part up in my head about Lincoln and a cherry tree. I know it doesn't exist because I had to get the book and reread it to prove (or rather, disprove) my sassy self. Furthermore, researching Washington's side of thing also threw a wrench into the whole argument because the original author of George Washington's biography MADE IT UP!!!! But he didn't put it in until several editions later! So who get's the money you wonder? It's a wash. The whole event never happened! But dang! I guess I need to start using some of my SFA comprehension strategies!!!! Not to mention reading some more biographies!

No comments: