Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pain

Way back in November, I had a filling that needed to be replaced.....and that is where all my pain began. The new filling was uneven and caused quite a bit of jaw pain. After having it fixed, all the pain went away, except a new born sensitivity to hot and cold. When that became too much, it was decided I need a root canal a few days before Christmas. The first visit left me with a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth that lasted for weeks. The pain wasn't so bad. At the end of January, I had the second installment on my root canal. No bad taste, a little more pain afterwards, but really no problem. The third time (and I thought the last) went much faster, however within a few days my jaw was killing me! I finally gave in and went back to the dentist. He took out the temporary and put in cotton....yes, cotton. This provided much relief and I went back this Tuesday to get the temporary put back in. Well, last night my tooth erupted in an overflow of pain! Since I'm nursing I can only take Tylenol or Advil. The pain was so bad I had to piggyback them every two hours. The pain finally calmed down enough for me to sleep. So back to the dentist I went this morning....for the SIXTH time! He took out the temporary and put in more cotton to relieve the pressure. He finally gave me an antibiotic that I can take while nursing to help clear up any infection that may be lingering. Now (if my pain stays away) I go back in on Tuesday to get my temporary put BACK in and then Friday (hopefully) my root canal will be finished! This whole situation has been a complete nightmare!.....okay, a HUGE nightmare! I really hope I stay pain free for the next several days to make it to Tuesday.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Cull said...

It's been over a month since the pain days started. How have you been doing now? Even a slightest toothache is already much annoying, if not uncomfortable. Yep, the whole thing's a nightmare, but I'm pretty sure the dentist has been doing his best to help you through the ordeal. I hope the root canal went well.